Cursive.
You're lookin' at me like, "Umm, I believe you are mistaken. That's a writing style, not a band."
Ok, point taken. Why don't you re-tape your glasses real quick while I learn you a bit of musical knowledge, Poindexter?
First of all, Cursive IS, in fact, the name of a band. A band that just happens to be one of my personal favorites right now. If you've never heard of them, that's completely understandable...they're a small band out of Omaha, Nebraska that are signed under Saddle Creek Records. They've been doing their thing for a while now, having first hit the scene in 1995, and in that time have produced six studio albums. The band has gone through a lot of member changes, but the one name you'll want to know is that of the lead singer and guitarist, Tim Kasher.
Is that just because he's the frontman? Just because he's the voice and the face of the band? Not quite, really it's because...
Tim Kasher is the greatest lyricist I've ever heard.
Period.
Literally, you could take any song from Cursive's albums, and in each song be blown away by the context of the lyrics. I've listened to a great majority of their songs for several months now, and some of the choruses, bridges, and verses I hear still amaze me. He covers an insane amount of topics as well. From the more standard topic of religion, politics, and love, to things like fairy tales, works of art, and pop culture.
Here's an example of that at work. A simple, yet sad, examination of the fairy tale: Pinocchio. The song?
"Driftwood (A Fairy Tale)" from the album, "The Ugly Organist."
And it might not even be the verses themselves. Add on top of that the immense amount of emotion Tim puts into every vocal on every track...it's just unbelievable.
"From the Hips," from the album, "Mama, I'm Swollen."
Not only that, but the insane variety their albums cover is almost as impressive. Rock, jazz, pop, ballads, emo, grunge, and even classical, it really never ends. In fact, some of their songs have full horn or violin sections, which really add crazy emotional emphasis to some of the songs. Not only that, but the members of the band behind Tim seem to perfectly compliment him. Every song rocks to it's own beat, every song is so beautifully constructed, and it's a nicely even emphasis on every single instrument, which I feel many bands certainly lack.
I could rant at some length about all the things I like about Cursive, but I'd much rather you learn the rest on your own. Their depth, their musical talent, their lyrics, their emotion...it all comes together within this one band.
We have been given a gift in the band Cursive. I'm just glad I am able to share it.
Just take it in...
"Staying Alive," from the album, "The Ugly Organist."
No comments:
Post a Comment